The Paddleboard Bible - Books
Stand-up paddleboarding is the fastest growing watersport in the world - with only a little knowledge and practice, pretty much anyone can get up and get moving, and then there's no limit to where SUP can take you. This complete guide gives you everything you need to know to get started, and much more besides.
All the basics are here, from fundamental equipment (a guide to boards, including bargain-priced inflatables, as well as paddles, clothing and simple safety gear) to essential techniques (getting on, getting moving and, just as importantly, landing and getting off). Along with challenges and games to play with your new paddleboarding buddies, the book explores places to go and things to see, from rivers and canals to coastlines and travel further afield. The book also explains all the important stuff you might need to understand about weather, tides, waves and currents.
However, The Paddleboard Bible then goes much further. It will take you on paddleboard adventures, from night paddles (showing you the world from the water in a way you've probably never seen it before) to wildlife-spotting safaris and unique photography opportunities; it even reveals the benefits of fishing from a paddleboard. And it's not all gentle stuff – for adrenaline junkies there is SUP surfing, riding white water rapids and for the more competitive types, SUP racing.
SUP is also great for fitness (you haven't done yoga until you've done SUP yoga) and there's a booming social side too. It's a fantastic way to meet new people, join groups, go to events and go on unique tours.
However you want to get into stand-up paddleboarding, whether you're curious about trying it one afternoon, want to dive into it as a new hobby or really get involved in the scene and the lifestyle, then The Paddleboard Bible is the one-stop book that covers everything you need to know about the most accessible and inexpensive paddlesport.
Introduction: The SUP-rising: A potted past of paddleboarding
1. Basic Techniques: Equipment, Step by step, Become a stand-up paddler, The stroke, Why does the paddle go that way round?, Common faults, Stopping, An initial word on wind
2. The Joy of SUP - board games and challenges: One-board wonders, Games for more boards, Games with frontiers
3. Advanced Techniques: Why is good technique useful?, Steering and turning strokes, Top tips for efficient paddling, Passengers, Tows and rescues
4. Choosing equipment: Boards, Paddles, Pumps, Leashes, Buoyancy aids, Clothing
5. Places to go, wildlife to see: Rivers, Canals, Lakes, Make the most of the coast, Other points of interest, Wildlife around the world
6. Stand up for 'SUPways': Access, Voluntary work, Biosecurity and invasive species
7. The Elements: Tides, Waves and currents, Weather, Forecasting, Climate change
8. Sense of Adventure!: Tour planning, What to pack, Navigation, Down-winders and down-streamers, Night paddling, Supping through the seasons, Photography, Interactions with other pastimes, Travel
9. Live to SUP another day: Site or route assessment, Hazards and health risks, Reducing risks, Accidents, Insurance
10. Thrills, Skills and Spills!: SUP surfing, White water, Races - speedy boarding!, Boards for specific activities
11. Body and Soul: SUP for a healthier life, Nutrition, Hydration, Fitness, SUP Yoga
12. What'S UP? - the social side: Groups, Forums, views and news, Events, Teaching
All you need to know about paddleboarding, from the basics of getting up and moving to finding the best spots for wild adventures.
Covers the basics and know-how to get you started. You'll be planning adventures with family and friends on the water in no time.
The Sunday Telegraph
Superbly illustrated and well explained advice regarding all things paddleboarding. A hugely worthwhile read with all the tips and hints you need to get on your board to enjoy it whilst feeling safe.
Glasgow Paddleboarders Co
The Paddleboard Bible...is a complete guide to SUP, covering the basics such as equipment, technique and safety - and it enthusiastically explains why paddleboarding is an excellent sport for everyone.
For information on stand-up paddleboarding, including techniques, equipment, planning tours (including night paddling and wildlife), and a wonderful section on fun board games and challenges, look no further than the excellent Paddleboard Bible.
Practical Boat Owner magazine
Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP for short) is a way of getting on the water that's been gaining popularity recently, including on canals - and this book written by a paddleboard instructor covers every aspect of it.